Friday, February 27, 2009

Armor

"He goes along just as a water lily
Gentle on the surface of his thoughts his body floats
Unweighed down by passion or intensity
Yet unaware of the depth upon which he coasts
And he finds a home in me
For what misfortune sows, he knows my touch will reap
And all my armor falling down, in a pile at my feet
And my winter giving way to warm, as I'm singing him to sleep" -from "Pale September" by Fionna Apple

Ah Fionna can always get me back in touch with my emotions. Her lyrics, melodies and voice just drip with feeling and whenever I need to feel around my emotional parts I'll put her music on, close my eyes and just let her show me how to feel again.

I've had several requests for a line that is more positive than previous posts. So, here you all go.

The line above speaks of the risks involved in giving yourself completely to another person. She first talks about falling for someone and how that can be very shaky ground for the other person involved. What I mean is that when a relationship develops to the point where one person has almost committed completely to the other, there is a period of fragility where, although the other person doesn't know it, any violation of trust can cause all that was built up to tumble like a stack of cards. But then she goes just a step further and talks about what happens if you can make it past that point. She beautifully flows into the chorus with tremendous harmony and you can just feel the release of the tension. There is a comfort and warmth that comes from trusting and loving another person, and especially in feeling that love fully returned.

I have several wishes for all people, and one of the main ones is for everyone to love completely and accept completely the love of another person.

I'm including a youtube video that isn't really a video at all, but a picture of Fionna with the music behind it. I normally hate these things, but this particular clip is from a live performance and she gives some background to the song. Thought that would be a nice comparison from my interpretation. Enjoy.



Peace within, peace without...J...


2 comments:

  1. Great post John! Do you ever think we'll find that? Hehe.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is to prove that I check your blog too.
    Mare's Mom

    ReplyDelete