Saturday, January 17, 2009

Learn Yourself

For as long as I can remeber I've been a fan of music. The family baby grand piano is where I first began my experimentation with the creative process of writing music. Of course it began with me just banging around on the keys and probably annoying everyone in the house, but I couldn't get enough of it. At some point I think my Mom got sick of me trying to experiment my way through the learning process and she signed me up for piano lessons. For some reason they just wouldn't take. I have never been a fan of having someone show me how to do things, especially when it comes to music. I feel that if you learn things from someone else without ever experimenting for yourself you end up doing those things just like the person who showed them to you. So, I quit those lessons, and actually quit music for a while. Never with my fascination of it, but rather with my expression through it. When I was 15 my brother starting playing guitar in a punk band with some friends, and thats when I finally found my instrument....the guitar. Whenever he wasn't around I would pick up his guitar and play. After a lot of trial and error I finally found my way around the instrument. For me this was absolutely THE way to learn. I take this approach to most everything in life.

The best way to understand anything is to do it for yourself. In so doing you will truly learn yourself. You will learn what you are capable of, what you believe in, how you view the world, and who you are. Try something new...you might surprise yourself at just what you are capable of.

1 comment: