Friday, January 23, 2009

"Sorrow drips into your heart through a pinhole
Just like a faucet that leaks and there is comfort in the sound
But while you debate “half empty” or “half full”
It slowly rises: your love is gonna drown" -From "Marching Bands of Manhattan" by Death Cab for Cutie

This is an unbelievably perfect example of what I was talking about in the last post. I don't even know where to start with this one. My interpretation of what is being said here? Well, there could be many interpretations, but I don't think I want to taint this with what would probably be a terrible perversion of Ben Gibbard's intentions. I gotta tell you though, this guy is one of my favorite writers. Yeah, I said writer. Songwriting is every bit as valid a form of writing as any other literary tradition. Well, that being said, you have to exclude some. You can fill in the names, and I hope that I don't make that list. Pretty much every song these guys write has literary gems like this sprinkled throughout. Listen, and I mean really listen, don't just hear the music, but hear the words.

Anyway, as always, if you have a comment about this line, or any other you think is worthy of mention, post a comment, or sent me a message from the contact page.

Peace within, peace without...J...

www.johnmaxfieldmusic.com

This is my favorite Death Cab song.

5 comments:

  1. I too love the lyrics of this song...but what's with the cutter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better know that in the end
    It's better to say too much
    Than to never say what you need to say...John Mayer "Say".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, but I don't think " To love somebody is to to watch them die". To really love someone is to help them live even as they are dying. Love you! Mommie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I have a line for you...write some more posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you enjoy Death Cab for Cutie, I'm curious what your thoughts are of The Postal Service? Do you lump them as the same or is there some distinction for you to highlight Death Cab and not mention the other.

    Please elaborate!

    PS- Your new blog is superb.

    ReplyDelete