Monday, April 6, 2009

Underappreciated

"Nobodys gonna come and save you....we've booked too many false alarms" -from Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer.

Man, I think the title says it all from my perspective regarding John Mayer. I know some people will think to themselves "What?!?! Underappreciated?!?, he's one of the highest paid, biggest touring artists in the country!!". That is absolutely true, and I know that the man has a ton of fans, but I think the majority of his popular music fans don't really appreciate the talent that this man possesses. Most people like the smooth vocals or the catchy tunes like "Your Body is a Wonderland", and "My Stupid Mouth". The truth of the matter is that this guy is one of the great guitar players of my generation. I think its a shame that he isn't traditionally known as such. Just the other day one of his songs was on at a friends house and another buddy asked "Hey, do you like this whiny bitch?". Man, that was upsetting. I just wanted to take this guy aside, put on some of his less known bluesy songs and educate him.....so, I decided to do it in this blog instead, and hopefully reach a couple previously doubtful people out there.

I've seen John Mayer play live several times, and each time I am more impressed. I have to admit, initially I dismissed his music as pop when I first listened to the album Room for Squares, but by Heavier Things I had come around. The more I got away from the music on the radio I was able to stop focusing on the "pretty" aspect of his music and get into the technicality of it. The fact is, this guy is a phenomenal singer, songwriter, and most of all, guitar player.

But hey, you don't have to take my word for it, you can take Eric Clapton's. He has played backup to Mayer's lead many times and has had him on stage with greats like Buddy Guy, BB King, Robert Cray and others at a little event called the Crossroads Guitar Festival. There's no question that he's earned the respect of a lot of the greats, and its time he got more from those who just haven't taken the time to listen.

Here's a sample of one of the songs that even those who consider themselves fans may not have heard (I know this from talking to many of them), and I have no idea why. I think this is one of his best songs. There is a guitar riff in here that just sings...you'll know it when you hear it. Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Finally, an artist I LOVE. I also LOVE this song. I've listened to Slow Dancing in a Burning Room about a million times. It's awesome. Very sad but fantastic.

    ReplyDelete