Tuesday, April 21, 2009

CKY

"I can hear the sound of the city. Sunrise and set all the same to me. My hesitating pulse is good company. My reflection offers no apology." -From "Close Yet Far" By CKY

CKY (or Camp Kill Yourself for those of you who prefer the less palatable designation) is a straight up rock band. In fact, the song I felt like discussing today is the slowest and softest song I think they have. I'm going to include one of their other songs so you can get a taste of what drew me to this band in the first place.

I was a skateboarder (man, I can't stand that, we used to just call ourselves skaters, but ever since friggin rollerblades I have to clarify) for a long time growing up. I got into it with my brother when I was about 11yrs old and skated until my first year of college. To this day I love watching skate videos (the slam sections are my favorite).


Well, a short while ago a series of skate videos came out called CKY. Featured in the series is a skater some of you may know from the Jackass series...Bam Margera. Probably fewer of you know that Jackass started as a result of the CKY skate videos. Many of the pranks and stunts in Jackass were taken straight from the first CKY video (yes, even the shopping cart crashes). Well, not so coincidentally, featured in the CKY videos is music by the band CKY. This may or may not have to do with the fact that Bam's brother Jess Margera plays drums in CKY. So, thats when I was first exposed to the band. They have a raw, reserved energy in their sound. It feels heavy though it really isn't. Their unique sound attracts all kinds of music fans, and I have definitely become one. I love the line at the beginning of this post. Most specifically the last part. It ties in well with one of my earlier posts (the Ani DiFranco one). It speaks of confidence and acceptance in who you are. When you know yourself you have no apologies...for your actions, beliefs, appearance, or anything. Another line from a Beastie Boys song "Stay true to yourself and you will never fall".

Peace within, peace without...J...


And so you have a taste of what the rest of their music is like..


2 comments:

  1. So I made it through 31 seconds of Welcome to Hell Bails but I LOVE Close Yet Far. Nice choice for this post. I'll check out Flesh into Gear but I have to tell ya, I'm not a fan of the title.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey You! I just nominated you for a Lovely Blog award so you better start posting more!=)

    ReplyDelete